Wednesday 17 February 2010

Hi, I'm Toffee-the-dog and I'm currently recovering from some minor complications arising from a broken leg. I've started this blog because one of my nice vets is heading back to Germany for a couple of weeks and my owners thought it would be good to keep her informed of my progress in this anthropomorphic sort of way. To recap: On 23rd November 2009 the wind was blowing hard and dislodged a fence panel in our garden. The panel had become wedged against a wall a few inches above the ground when, in blissful ignorance, a foolish owner allowed me to run in the garden. I caught my leg under the panel, somersaulted over the top ... and here I am. Having a broken leg has changed my life in the following ways ...

Toffee and Alex in the snow

No playing in the snow.

Toffee dreaming

When you've got a broken leg you're allowed on the bed. I do a lot more sleeping now - I can still run in my dreams.

Toffee in the kitchen

A sense of guilt has really improved the food around here, mmmm, yogurt and sardine.

Toffee's new bed

My leather armchair disappeared, to be replaced by this. I've been gypped!

Toffee waiting for postman

I still like waiting for the postman.

Toffee and Alex at Christmas

I slept through Christmas.

Toffee with buster collar

My owners sometimes feel the need to humiliate me...

Toffee relaxing with "Primary" and "Secondary"

but generally I'm pretty relaxed,

Toffee on her favourite spot

and this is my favourite spot,

Toffee and "Primary" on the bed

or on the bed with "Primary".

Toffee's broken leg

This is the result of my accident.

Toffee's broken leg

and this is how it happened.

How the accident happened

Friday 19 February 2010

Well here I am at the vet, getting re-dressed in my new-style dressing - it happens every couple of days. My stylish sash helps keep the dressing on my poorly elbow without having to make the bandage too tight. Even so, it's still a tricky thing to get the tension just right and in actual fact this is my second dressing of the day. Progress is still slow, but I'm doing well. The skin is nicely attached around the wound and the wound itself is now improving consistently.

Toffee in the vet's surgery

Sunday 21 February 2010

A good covering of snow in the morning quickly disappeared - but the big story from this week is that I'm no longer restricted to the house/garden/vet. For the past few days I've been going out for a 15 minute walk each day - look mum, I'm using all four legs.

Toffee out for a walk

Monday 22 February 2010

Using supplies from the vet, Carol, for the first time, dressed my wound - all by herself. Clever girl.

Tuesday 23 February 2010

Like the strings twix't marionette and puppeteer, I am slave to an invisible connection with the front doorbell. To save my broken leg, the device has been "out of order" for the past 3 months, but today my owners felt that the faded sign could be removed and the battery reinstalled.

Front doorbell "out of order" sign

Wednesday 24 February 2010

I've never had a yellow dressing before. I went to Maghull today to have the vet re-dress my leg - a golden bandage for a golden lurcher. My old wound is progressing well, however, on Monday the inner part of my elbow joint was looking the worse for wear - and it's still looking somewhat poorly today. It's a fine balancing act, but hopefully things will heal sufficiently before the dressing itself causes more problems. No worries - as long as they keep feeding me.

Toffee eating her medicine

Serving suggestion - wrap an amoxicillin tablet in chicken or fish - it goes down a treat. Literally.

Toffee studying contents of fridge

Owners require close supervision.

Friday 26 February 2010

I hate the rain. I stand at the open back door and sniff and refuse to go out. "Really I don't need the loo... honestly." So I waited until I was in the vet to do a poo - how convenient. Fortunately, embarrassment is completely alien to me - an emotion shared only by cats and humans. Health-wise I'm still progressing nicely.

"good grief snoopy"

Tuesday 2 March 2010

Today my owner took me outside on a long lead and it was warm and sunny. I found the sunniest, warmest place to lie down and I lay there and despite frequent coaxings I kept lying there. Eventually my owner tied the end of the lead to a flower pot and left me lying there. Bliss.

Friday 5 March 2010

I er... duh... I'm having problems starting this blog entry. Yes, I'm still progressing well, but yesterday my routine was disturbed and I was required to be spontaneous in front of impromptu guests. Well, it all started off because of fence panels. My owner and James from next door were talking about what to put in place of the fence panel that I broke my leg on - and others like it. James stopped for a glass of wine and then Jen, his fiancé, arrived home and a quick drink became dinner and I couldn't remember why I thought I needed to bark at our guests and it was very tiring anyway, so I lay down with my head on Jen's lap. It was all very confusing - I'm only a lurcher with a lurcher's brain - what do they expect of me?

Monday 8 March 2010

Svenya's back!


Sunday 28 March 2010

I can lie in my leather armchair again - for the first time in over 4 months.

Toffee in her chair